The Tokyo-born, Montreal/New York-raised violinist shares her favourite recordings and the music she could live without.
1. Three pieces of music you love?
Brahms Clarinet Quintet
Sibelius Violin Concerto
Violinist Karen Gomyo. Photo: supplied.
2. Three recordings everyone should own?
Elgar’s Cello Concerto with Jacqueline du Pré and Sea Pictures with Dame Janet Baker – two legendary artists and performances in one album!
Geminiani/Vivaldi Cello Sonatas with Heinrich Schiff – a shamefully underrated recording in my opinion!
The Complete Recordings of Josef Hassid – a precious gem of a true genius who died much too young.
3. Three musical heroes?
4. Three really underrated composers?
5. An underrated piece of music?
Schumann’s Violin Concerto
6. Three pieces of music you could happily never hear again?
Ravel’s Bolero, Pachelbel’s Canon, Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue.
7. Your greatest concert experience?
Plácido Domingo as Otello at my first Met Opera experience in New York City when I was 11.
8. Your favourite films?
My Neighbor Totoro(Miyazaki)
Dead Poets Society
9. The piece of music you most wish had been written for violin?
Elgar’s Cello Concerto
10. Three favourite places in the world?
New Zealand, Iceland, and…....