The ABC has announced the recipients of its inaugural composer commissioning fund, with 15 grants awarded totalling $90,000. The commissions will support a diverse range of voices and themes, including female, Indigenous, culturally and linguistically diverse, and LGBTQI+ composers.
The ten new commissions for ABC Classic were awarded to:
- composer and world music expert Brent Keogh;
- First Nations violinist and emerging composer Eric Avery, who will collaborate with Ensemble Offspring;
- The Titjikala Womens’ Choir, which will work with Northern Territory singer/songwriter Nancy Bates and pianist/electrical cristal player Gabriella Smart;
- concert, film and game music composer Christine Pan, who will write for harpist Kate Moloney;
- violinist Camille Barry and composer-producer Thomas Green;
- composer Heather Percy, who will collaborate with Sydney Chamber Choir and its Artistic Director Sam Allchurch;
- composer Elizabeth Younan, who will draw on her Lebanese heritage;
- Tasmanian composer and musician Emily Sheppard who will collaborate with singer-songwriter Claire Anne Taylor;
- composer-performer Henry Liang;
- and composer Meta Cohen, who will write for choral group Divisi Chamber Singers.
The cross-cultural collaborations will feature familiar classical and jazz instruments alongside the Arabic Oud, Japanese Shō, Chinese...