Unfurl your Tricolore and man the barricades – a concert spectacular featuring numbers from musicals including Les Misérables and Miss Saigon is coming to the Sydney Opera House and Arts Centre Melbourne in September.
Do You Hear The People Sing? is a celebration of the work of Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg, the creative duo behind the phenomenally popular Les Mis and Miss Saigon. Developed over the course of a decade by Boubil and Schönberg, in collaboration with producer Enda Markey, it is the only concert authorised by the pair, who consider it a definitive showcase of their work. Headlined by musical theatre royalty Michael Ball, the concert will feature eight musical theatre stars from around the world, including Australians Bobby Fox, David Harris and Suzie Mathers, a 24-piece orchestra and a 12-person choir, performing hit songs from the duo’s works including their other musicals Martin Guerre, The Pirate Queen and La Révolution Française.
These performances will be the Australian premiere of the concert spectacular, which has previously been staged in China, Taiwan, the Philippines and across the US including at Carnegie Hall. Boublil and Schönberg themselves will travel to Australia for the first time in 25 years, and will take part in two In Conversation events, hosted by Julia Zemiro in Sydney and Mark Humphries in Melbourne.
These concerts will also mark a major milestone for the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall, which is due to reopen in June after two years of renovations and upgrades.
“It is an enormous pleasure for us, in collaboration with Enda Markey, to bring the concert we conceived to Australia following the warmth of its reception in the USA and in Asia. It is especially thrilling for us to see the concert play in two of Australia’s most iconic venues – Hamer Hall and Sydney Opera House’s newly refurbished Concert Hall,” said Boublil and Schönberg.
“This new version, especially created for Australian audiences, traces the history of our 50-year collaboration, showcasing a wide selection of well-known songs from our shows as well as a journey of discovery through how some of the songs were written, rewritten or reinvented.”
Do You Hear The People Sing? will feature songs including I Dreamed A Dream, Do You Hear The People Sing?, On My Own, One Day More, The American Dream, Bui Doi, Woman and Bring Him Home, brought to life by:
- Michael Ball OBE (UK), Britain’s leading musical theatre star who played Marius in the original London production of Les Misérables, and reprised the role for the 10th anniversary concert. More recently, he starred as Javert in the acclaimed staged concert in the West End.
- John Owen-Jones (UK), who played Valjean in the London, Broadway and international productions of Les Misérables, and the Phantom in Andrew Lloyd The Phantom of the Opera in London;
- Rachel Tucker (UK/IE), who recently starred in Come From Away on Broadway, and in the London premiere of Boublil & Schönberg’s The Pirate Queen in 2020. She is renowned for her performance as Elphaba in Wicked in London and on Broadway;
- Bobby Fox (AU), the popular star of the Australian production of Jersey Boys;
- David Harris (AU), who has performed leading roles in Miss Saigon, Wicked and Legally Blonde, and is currently starring in the US tour of Moulin Rouge!;
- Sooha Kim (KR), the Korean star of Aida, RENT and Hadestown, who played Kim in the UK and Japanese tours of Miss Saigon;
- Suzie Mathers (AU), the star of international productions of Wicked and Mamma Mia!; and
- Marie Zamora (FR), the French star of Kiss Me Kate, Barnum and the Paris production of Les Misérables, who has toured internationally with Michel Legrand.
Sydney Opera House Head of Contemporary Performance, Ebony Bott said, “This is a once in a lifetime experience for lovers of musical theatre. Do You Hear The People Sing? will be one of the first Sydney Opera House Presents seasons in the Concert Hall after more than two years of extensive upgrades. This production will showcase our world-class Concert Hall at its best; orchestra, powerful voices, and digital projections explaining the stories behind some of the last century’s biggest musical hits. As well as Boublil and Schönberg themselves – Live in Conversation!”
Do You Hear The People Sing? will premiere at Melbourne’s Hamer Hall on 27 & 28 September, and will play at the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall from 30 September – 2 October, 2022. The Boublil & Schönberg In Conversation events will take place on Sunday 25 September (Melbourne) and Saturday 1 October (Sydney). For tickets and more information, visit thepeoplesing.com