Actor Geoffrey Rush is suing Sydney newspaper The Daily Telegraphover reports of a complaint made about him to Sydney Theatre Company involving allegations of “inappropriate behaviour”during his time working on the company’s production of King Learin 2015 and 2016.
“Today I have filed defamation proceedings against The Daily Telegraphin the Federal Court of Australia,” the actor said at a press conference in Melbourne. “It is an action I am taking in order to redress the slurs, innuendo and hyperbole they have created around my standing in the entertainment industry and greater community.”
“ The Daily Telegraphhas made false, pejorative and demeaning claims – splattering them with unrelenting bombast on its front pages,” he said. “This has created irreparable damage to my reputation, been extremely hurtful to my wife, my daughter and my son; to my extended family – and to my many colleagues in the Film, Television and Theatre industry.”
The Daily Telegraphreported on November 30, in a story on its front page, that Sydney Theatre Company had received a complaint about the award-winning actor, who has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.
“Sydney Theatre Company was asked by a News Ltd journalist earlier this month whether it had received...